Thursday, June 4, 2009

My Big Fat Greek Pizzeria/Catering Company

I work for a Greek catering company, Mediterranean Catering PA and our sister store Boston Style Pizza (I refer to it as "the mothership"), in the suburbs of Philadelphia.

It is unlike any other place I have ever worked, and I have worked at quite a few places. But, this place, surpasses them all.

We have a staff including the owners, cooks, drivers, grill men, pizza men and various and sundry others, that hail from across the globe. Literally.

In all Greece (the Mother Land and the only one that really counts), Lebanon, Brazil, Morocco, Turkey (not popular with the Greeks), Indonesia, Ecuador, Mexico, Tunisia, China, and a smattering of Americans. I am the lone American in the kitchen, and the Chef.

On any given day you can hear at least 4 to 5 languages being spoken at a time. I have to say, the best part of working with so many diverse cultures is the food.

One day Hammadi will bring in fresh baked Moroccan flatbread slathered with honey and butter for breakfast. The next Maria Elena will make her homemade tamales that rival any I have ever had. Or Helen, my boss, will decide we should all have lamb, yes, she is Greek.

The best days, however, are birthdays! Then all bets are off. For my birthday we had Tinga, a shredded chicken dish with chipotles and tomatoes, served with crispy tostadas and Mexican sour cream. I can take a bath in the stuff!
Or Jose's birthday, he brought in half of a lamb that was roasted in the oven over a perforated pan. In the pan below are chick peas, tomatoes and a bit of water. The lamb gets roasted and the fat drips into the beans below to make a thick soup. We then, like cannibals in the best sense of the word, strip the bones of the meat and make lamb tacos on steamed corn tortillas.
Add avocado, rough chop of cilantro and a squeeze of lime and eat, eat, eat. Followed by a cup of the lamb and bean soup. Amazing! I will be asking for that this year for my birthday..wish me luck!

Today, Randa, who is from Lebanon, made a simple "peasant" dish called Fasoulia. We had it with our daily cup of Greek coffee, at 10 a.m.
It was so simple and simply heaven. Every culture, in some fashion, has a comfort bean dish, this is theirs and I had to share it here.

FASOULIA

1 can pinto or red kiney beans with juice from can
2 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
fresh lemon juice
olive oil
kosher salt
red pepper flakes
good bread for dipping

*Greek coffee optional but highly suggested*

Heat beans in a pot, juice and all, til warm. Transfer to a bowl, add lemon juice, about 1 whole lemon if nice and juicy, if not use two , olive oil, garlic, salt and red pepper flakes to taste. Serve in small cup with the "juice" a big chunk of bread.
Spread the beans on the bread and eat, eat and keep eating. Any remaining bread MUST be dunked into the juice in the bowl.

After we were done eating, we chewed on fresh mint leaves to clear our palate and chase the garlic away. You can also use parsley as well.

This dish is so simple but so delicious that I had to write about it. It would be great with fish, chicken or pork. (don't tell Randa, she is Muslim, but I am using poetic license)
Randa serves it to the kids as a snack. Not a chicken finger in sight for her family. What a difference, raising your kids here in America on the foods of your homeland. I feel humbled.

When I try to make my comfort food, I can't get anyone to get excited about Mac and Cheese or
Beef Stew, go figure. Thank goodness there is a smattering of Americans in the kitchen and I can usually make one of them eat it!

I will be posting more recipes as the mood strikes me, next up Tinga. I have made converts of the pickiest eaters to this fabulous Mexican dish,

Stay tuned.

*Update, this is the recipe for the Fasolia I made on The Ten Show on March 24th. It is easy and delicious.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/shows/10-show/Chef_Barbara_Esmonde_Philadelphia.html

2 comments:

  1. I love this blog and love the author even more. She is simply fantastic in every sense of her being

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the anecdotes and the recipes. You are a talented writer as well as a talented cook.

    ReplyDelete