Monday, June 1, 2009

Rub a Dub Rub

So, you have a ton of dried spices in your cabinet or on those fancy spice racks you got as a gift, and have no idea what to do with them.

I say, make a rub.

A rub is nothing more than dried spices, any flavor combination will do, mixed with sugar and salt and literally rubbed into the meat of beef, poultry, some fish and can be the "mystery" ingredient in stews, soups and chili. It tenderizes tough cuts of meat such as flank steak and chuck and gives a great pop to your poultry.

It is also a great gift. Make a large batch with all of those spices you were given as a gift, put them in a new package and .... re-gift em!!

The following is the rub I use on flank steak. The sugar and salt work together to break down the enzymes in the meat and tenderizes it naturally and the spice combo gives amazing flavor.

This is a secret recipe so I am only sharing it with my closest friends out there on the internet, and I know you won't tell anyone!!
Use your discretion in the flavoring. If you like Asian flavors add more ginger and coriander and five spice and less chili powder or cumin. (for example purposes)

Dry Rubbed Flank Steak

Brown Sugar (I prefer dark brown)
Kosher Salt
Paprika
Chili Powder
Cumin
Granulated Garlic
Onion Powder
Ginger
Allspice
Cinnamon
Lemon Pepper
Dry Thyme

and the money shot....Celery Seed

I mix equal parts sugar to salt and 1/4 less of paprika. That is my base. The rest of the spices are what I had on the shelf and can be added, as I said, according to taste.
Mix together and pulse in a food processor or blender as the sugar tends to lump in the box or bag and this will make it all even.

Take the flank steak and rub the mix into the flesh. Don't be a delicate flower...put it on and really rub it so it is evenly coated. No oil or liquid, just the spice mix.

Wrap steak in plastic wrap, really, really tight and put in freezer for a few days or even weeks.
Thaw and brush with oil and a bit of salt and grill to medium rare or desired temperature.
Make sure your grill is hot so the sugar will caramelize and the spices will have a chance to "cook" and let their flavors come out. Slice on a bias and serve.

When I made this at work my boss said (add your own Greek accent) Bar bar a (also add Greek accent) this will never sell!!! Now I sell at least a case a week.
I top the steak with caramelized onions and serve on a roll with provolone cheese.
However, it is delicious on a salad and on it's own with potatoes and a vegetable.

The longer you leave it in the freezer to tenderize, the better it is. I have actually had people say it is the best they have ever had, on more than one occasion, I am happy to say.

It can also be used as a rub on tuna, swordfish (yes, even I would use swordfish for this one) and chicken. In that case I would add a bit of oil to make a paste so it is easier to work with.

Have fun with it. Make it according to your tastes. If you like Italian flavors, use dried oregano, dried fennel, dried basil and take out the cumin and ginger. Play around, above all use what you have and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. I used this rub this past weekend, but omited the lemmon pepper and allspice (could not locate in my pantry) and it was a hit!
    I mixed up a big batch of rub and put it in a parm cheese shaker containes I had laying around.

    ReplyDelete