Monday, November 2, 2009

Poach An Egg

For breakfast today I had two poached eggs with grain toast, some leftover mozzarella cheese and avocado that I chopped up and drizzled with olive oil and coffee.

Now, before this blog becomes a diatribe on the mundane aspects of my life...the poached eggs really got me thinking.

With the wave of food related competition shows, hmm, Chopped comes to mind, I see so many Chefs putting poached or sunny side up on top of any variety of food items.

I don't ever remember my mom topping any of our food, not connected to breakfast, with an egg.

Yet, it is a lovely addition to many things and a poached egg could not be any simpler,or easy to make. It is a healthy alternative to frying, cost effective and only take minutes to make.

Wouldn't it be great to make Eggs Benedict at home, even if you use a packaged sauce, the poached egg is what makes it.

Don't feel like making a soft boiled egg, too hot to handle and those pesky shells? I say Poach An Egg!!! (even though I and my siblings all ate my Mom's delicious soft boiled eggs when we were little and under the weather)

There are 3 ingredients:

Eggs
White Vinegar
Water

Boil the water with about 1 1/2 Tlb. white vinegar.
Crack eggs into small dish with a low lip, gently drop each into boiling water.
One and a half minutes or so, will produce a lovely white cloud with a runny yellow secret inside!

If you prefer a well done egg, two and a half minutes or so will do.
Cook times vary for egg size and diner taste.
If it is your first time, try a few out at different cook times and see which you prefer.

Poached eggs on wheat toast with a side of crispy lettuce and tomato and a light balsamic dressing is really great for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
They can be served with coffee for breakfast, iced tea for lunch and a lovely glass of wine for dinner.

Keep in mind people, I can't be that healthy all of the time, usually I will butter the toast..!!!

For a quick meal, secret ingredient or Sunday Brunch....Poach an Egg

No comments:

Post a Comment